Cultural District Information
Downtown Florence is one of nine designated Cultural Districts of South Carolina. A cultural district is a geographic area that has a concentration of walkable cultural facilities, assets, and activities. Legislation ratified by the South Carolina General Assembly specifies the goals of the Cultural District program as:
- Attracting artists, creative entrepreneurs, and cultural enterprises to a designated community,
- Encouraging economic development,
- Fostering local cultural development,
- And providing a focal point for celebrating and strengthening local cultural identity.
Cultural districts are recertified every five years. Attractions located inside the Downtown Florence Cultural District include:
- Florence County Museum
- FMU Gately Gallery
- FMU Performing Arts Center
- Florence Little Theatre
- Bruce and Lee Foundation Library
Learn more about South Carolina’s Cultural District designation.